Just imagine, if it wasn’t for the laundry…

Just imagine, if it wasn’t for the laundry…

Sometimes the gardener and the knitter in me have a hard time getting along. When the weather is perfect to do some work in the garden and at the same time I have this really exciting project on the needles I’m torn between my two favorite hobbies. I know, this is a first world problem if there ever was one. Today however, the weather convinced me that the rose planting and grass sowing could wait another day and I picked up the needles instead. It’s Stitches Sunday after all!

There was one thing that stood between me and non-stop afternoon knitting and that was a mountain of laundry! I almost took a picture of it to share on the blog, but apparently Thomas draws the line at unfolded underwear when it comes to me sharing our life online. I had dumped out all the laundry to be folded on top of my knitting, so that I would be sufficiently motivated to actually do it. Any other knitters out there who do that? Surely I’m not the only one.

I had already cast on for the Florence cardigan earlier this week. When I measured the swatch I was surprised to find I got gauge!

on gauge

There it is! 24 stitches over 4 inches – I couldn’t believe it! …. until I checked the needles I had knitted the swatch with and only then remembered I had already preemptively gone up to a 4 mm size needle the night before. Oh well, tight knitters are neater knitters anyway. Yes, we are.

I did a long tail cast-on on a 4.5 mm needle to make sure the cast-on wasn’t too tight. The cardigan has no ribbing at the bottom so it’s important that I can properly block it as flat as possible when finished. A tight cast-on wouldn’t help with that at all. I’m already doubtful how it will block as it curls up a lot right now. It looks alright in the picture though so I’ll keep the faith. Foolishly perhaps.

The front edges of the cardigan have a lace repeat that is patterned on both the wrong and the right side – known as ‘true lace’.

lace detail

It took a little getting used to, as most of the lace I’ve knitted up to now only had patterned rows on the right side. However, as the lace itself isn’t very complicated and as it’s only two small sections it’s still great TV knitting most of the time.

I’ve now come to the side decreases and after I finished the first two decrease rows I remembered that my row gauge had been off a little. I got 36 rows for 4 inches but the pattern calls for only 34 rows. The pattern states I now have to knit the decrease row 7 times every 8th row and then to continue knitting as established until the piece measures 30.5 inches. I wondered whether my difference in gauge would really matter, so I did some knitting math:

knitting math

It turns out that if I just do what the pattern tells me, my section of decreases will measure a little less than half an inch shorter than it should. I could just ignore that as I don’t think it will really be noticeable. Especially since I will have to knit straight for another few rows anyway when I’m done with the side shaping. However, I’ve decided that since I took the trouble of doing the math I might as well do a few extra rows in between the increases. I’m going to knit an increase row every ten rows twice and after that every 8th row for five times. That will make up for that half an inch.

I also pinned it down this evening and measured the piece to see whether it’s actually knitting up the same way as the swatch. Bottom width is exactly on point: 61 cm

progress report

The lighting is really bad, I know, but here’s a good picture of the lace detail in the middle:

14 centimeter

So that’s where I am right now, 14 centimeters in, and I’ll have to force myself to go to bed now. It’s great knitting and the yarn is so lovely and soft. It took some effort just now to actually put it down and write this blog post.

I’m off the bed. Good night!

 

…right after I finish this last row…

 

…promise…

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>