I love chintzy teacups. The daintier the better. I never actually use them to drink tea out of – they don’t hold a lot of tea, and I just really prefer a mug. This means that there quite a few china tea cups in our cupboard that just stand there gathering dust. When I came across these teacup candles on Pinterest I thought that this would be the perfect solution. However, that pin was a listing on DaWanda and not a tutorial so today I did a little more browsing and found this pin that had some instructions. It looked pretty easy: melt wax, hang wick in cup, pour in wax, and leave it to set.
- wax candles
- double boiler
I have had these red candles for a long time already and I never use them so I thought I better give them a new live in a different shape. I didn’t have any wick but I figured I could reuse the wick in the candles. So I cut the first candle in three…
…and shaved off the sides of the candle pieces…
…I cut away as much of the wax as possible but I didn’t want to cut into the wick and break it. The second candle I just cut into pieces removing the wick as I cut it up.
I put everything in the bowl…
…and placed it on top of a pot with boiling water, creating a double boiler…
…I put the pot on the stove and put it on a low heat. Soon the wax started to melt…
…I was actually expecting it to turn pink but the red candle wax apparently has a lot of pigment (and later I figured the white has no pigment at all) because a little later it looked like this:
When the wax had melted completely I fished out the wicks. I attached each of them to a chopstick by rolling one end around the chopstick.
And I hung them over the teacups. I figured since they were already hanging straight down I didn’t need to attach those metal disks on the other ends. (I had been planning to make them from the aluminum casing of the tea lights. But I decided to skip that.)
I thought I would have wax left over so I also prepared a glass jar. Then I took the bowl off the pot and poured the wax into the cups.
Pretty soon I noticed that you actually do need those disks on the other en of the candle wick, because the wick wouldn’t hang straight down into the hot wax.
So I cut up those aluminum casings…
…cut out a circle and pierced a hole into it.
I put the end of the wick through the hole…
…cut out a smaller circle of aluminum, pressed that against the end of the wick and folded over the edges of the bigger circle,
I poured the wax back into the bowl and cleaned out the cups. Then I prepared them again.
….poured in the wax and this time it seemed like the wicks were hanging down straight.
I left them to set for a few hours.
They looked just fine but when I checked on them just now before I started writing the blog post there was deep hole in on of the tea cup candles!
I have no idea why this happened. Maybe I can fix it by pouring in some left over wax tomorrow. The smaller cup looks fine and when I take a picture from the side you can’t even see it.
I’ll play with it some more tomorrow and will try to fix it. But for now I’ll have to declare this pin a half fail. The tutorial didn’t say anything about how the wax would shrink when setting. I’m a bit disappointed as I had high hopes for this one. I’ll probably try this project another time but first I’ll do some more reading on candle making. To be continued…