Antique rosary

Antique rosary

I’m going to give my houseplants some extra love in the coming week, with all the work I want to do in the garden the houseplants tend to get neglected when the weather is as nice as this.

This Thursday my Rosary Vine, or String of Hearts, or Ceropegia linearis woodii, is getting her hair done! I got this plant from my mother who has been propagating these Rosary Vines for as long as I can remember. I think they all come from the same cutting that my mom got from her mom. I love how plants can be family heirlooms, and I like them better than antiques.

Rosary Vines are the easiest plants to take care of. Mine lives on the top of a book shelf and I sometimes forget to water it for weeks! Even so, a little love for the hearts every once is a while is necessary. Mine has grown quite long and I think I wanted give it a serious trim. I pinned these instructions that I found on a great website: www.guide-to-houseplants.com

Here’s the stringy String of Hearts before picture:

before

The vines had gotten so long I had to step back to get it to fit into the frame!

before2

First thing I did was repot it. It’s been in this terra cotta for a over a year or so…

top view

…the instructions on the website say you have transfer it to a bigger pot each year. I decided to transfer it to the white pot the terra cotta pot was in.

I put some terra cotta shards on the bottom…

terra cotta

…added a little soil and then transferred the plant into it’s new home. I added more soil to fill up the sides…

add soil

Here it is after re-potting – there’s a lot more space to put in more cuttings:

add soil2

The vines get tangled pretty bad and it’s difficult to pull them apart and snip them one by one. So I cut the whole lower part off first, and then untangled the mass of vines once it was separate from the plant. Here’s a last picture before Stringy’s hair cut:

before trim

I just snipped off all the strings at about 60 centimeter – I kept it very irregular to let it have an organic shape because I don’t think a bob cut is really her style:

after trim

Then came the fun bit:

trimmings

Untangling the cuttings! I just started at a loose end, untangled it until I had about the right length and then cut it…

propagate

…and then pushed it into the soil. It took some concentration and patience but in the end I had put all the cuttings into the soil:

after2

I added some extra soil to the pot and watered the plant well.

Here’s the end result!

after

I love how full it looks now! I will add some fertilizer in the coming week. The instructions on the website say to give fertilizer every week in spring and summer. I hope I’ll remember….

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>